Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mystery Reader Launch!

MYSTERY READERS!

I would like to invite any parents, grandparents, relatives, or other special people to surprise your child by being a “Mystery Reader” this year in our classroom.  Students LOVE having their family, friends, and relatives visit the classroom to share in our learning by reading a favorite story aloud to our class.  Mystery Readers will visit us usually on Fridays from 11:30-11:55 a few times a month.  Readers are asked to bring a picture book to read.  If it is a short book, bring in two!
If you can find a date that works for you, please sign-up to be a Mystery Reader for the 2016 half of the school year! Please email at least two dates (if possible) that will work for you so that I can accommodate with others. You can either e-mail me your preferred dates at sdonlon@sau16.org or send your top three choices in a “top secret” envelope to school with your child.  I will get back to you as soon as possible to confirm your official Mystery Reader date. 
Remember, you are a mystery to the class, so try not to tell your child when you will be coming!

To be a mystery reader you need to come up with five clues about yourself that I can read to the class as hints on Friday during our morning meeting.  You can e-mail the clues to me at any point!

Here is a sample set of clues written by a former mystery reader
1. My favorite book when I was in fourth grade was Charlie
    and the Chocolate Factory.

2. I was the youngest child in my family growing up.
3. My family has one dog as a pet.
4. I love to play Monopoly with my family.
5. My favorite family vacation is visiting our family cottage in York, Maine every summer.


I start with clue #1 and end with clue #5.  As you get closer to clue #5, you should make your clues a bit more revealing so that your child starts to recognize some of the information in the clues.  It is so fun when students realize that their family member is the one who has written the clues and will soon be reading to our class!

Let me know if you have any questions!


Please write me a “secret” note or e-mail if you have any further questions.  We can’t wait to meet our 2016 Mystery Readers!

                                                   Sincerely,
            Ms. Donlon



No comments:

Post a Comment